Francis M. Hult is now professor at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). More information here.
About the research
Hult's research work focuses on the management of linguistic diversity in multilingual social environments, with an emphasis on the impact of the international spread of English on language policies and practices. He is particularly interested in processes of language planning that attempt to manage the status of national languages with respect to minority and foreign languages in Scandinavia. He investigates these issues by drawing on ethnographic and discourse analytic methods (e.g., nexus analysis and linguistic landscape analysis) to study the implications of language choices by individuals who live, work, and study in multilingual settings.
Related to the management of language in educational settings, Hult also explores the history and development of educational linguistics as a transdisciplinary (sub)field. He examines its symbiotic relationship to applied linguistics as well as the methodological implications of conducting problem-oriented research that transcends disciplines.
- Siiner, M., Hult, F. & Kupisch, T. (2018). (Eds.) Language policy and language acquisition planning. Springer.
- Hult, F. & Johnson, D. (2015). (Eds.) Research methods in language policy and planning : a practical guide. John Wiley & Sons.
- Hult, F. & King, K. (2011). (Eds.) Educational linguistics in practice : Applying the local globally and the global locally. Multilingual Matters.
- Hult, F. (2010). (Ed.) Directions and prospects for educational linguistics. Springer.
- Spolsky, B. & Hult, F. (2008). (Eds.) Handbook of educational linguistics. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hult, F. (2019). Toward a unified theory of language development: The transdisciplinary nexus of cognitive and sociocultural perspectives on social activity. Modern Language Journal, 103, 136-144. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hult, F. & Kelly-Holmes, H. (2019). Spectacular language and creative marketing in a Singapore tailor shop. International Journal of Multilingualism, 16, 79-93. Routledge.
- Hult, F. (2018). Engaging pre-service English teachers with language policy. ELT Journal, 72, 249-259. Oxford University Press.
- Hult, F. (2018). Foreign language education policy on the horizon. Foreign Language Annals, 51, 35-45. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hult, F. (2017). More than a lingua franca : Functions of English in a globalized educational language policy. Language, Culture and Curriculum, 30, 265-282. Routledge.
- Hult, F. & Hornberger, N. H. (2016). Revisiting orientations in language planning : Problem, right, and resource as an analytical heuristic. Bilingual Review, 33, 30-49.
- Hult, F. & Källkvist, M. (2016). Global flows in local language planning : Articulating parallel language use in Swedish univerity policies. Current Issues in Language Planning, 17, 56-71. Routledge.
- Källkvist, M. & Hult, F. (2016). Discursive mechanisms and human agency in language policy formation : negotiating bilingualism and parallel language use at a Swedish university. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 19, 1-17. Routledge.
- Hult, F. (2014). Covert bilingualism and symbolic competence: Analytical reflections on negotiating insider/outsider positionality in Swedish speech situations. Applied Linguistics, 35, 63-81. Oxford University Press.
- Hult, F. (2014). Drive-thru linguistic landscaping: Constructing a linguistically dominant place in a bilingual space. International Journal of Bilingualism, 18, 507-523. SAGE Publications Inc..
- Hult, F. & Pietikäinen, S. (2014). Shaping discourses of multilingualism through a language ideological debate: The case of Swedish in Finland. Journal of Language and Politics, 13, 1-20. John Benjamins Publishing Company.
- Hult, F. (2012). English as a transcultural language in Swedish policy and practice. TESOL Quarterly, 46, 230-257. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hult, F. & Compton, S. (2012). Deaf education policy as language policy: A comparative analysis of Sweden and the United States. Sign Language Studies, 12, 602-620. Gallaudet University Press.
- Hult, F. (2011). Handbooks and encyclopedias: Institutional bane or intellectual boon?. Modern Language Journal, 95, 638-640. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hult, F. (2010). Analysis of language policy discourses across the scales of space and time. International Journal of the Sociology of Language, 202, 7-24. De Gruyter.
- Hult, F. (2010). Swedish Television as a mechanism for language planning and policy. Language Problems & Language Planning, 34, 158-181. John Benjamins Publishing Company.
- Hult, F. (2010). The complexity turn in educational linguistics. Language Culture and Curriculum, 23, 173-177. Routledge.
- Hult, F. (2005). A case of prestige and status planning: Swedish and English in Sweden. Current Issues in Language Planning, 6, 73-79. Routledge.
- Hult, F. (2004). Planning for multilingualism and minority language rights in Sweden. Language Policy, 3, 181-201. Springer.
- Hult, F. (2003). English on the streets of Sweden: An ecolinguistic view of two cities and a language policy. Working Papers in Educational Linguistics, 19, 43-63.
- Berg, E. C., Hult, F. & King, K. A. (2001). Shaping the climate for language shift? English in Sweden's elite domains. World Englishes, 20, 305-319. Wiley-Blackwell.
Book chapters (16)
- Källkvist, M. & Hult, F. (accepted/in press). Multilingualism as Problem, Right, or Resource? : Negotiating Space for Languages Other than Swedish and English in University Language Planning. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Hult, F. (2018). Language policy and planning and linguistic landscapes. In Tollefson, J. & Pérez-Milans, M. (Eds.) (pp. 333-351). Oxford University Press.
- Siiner, M., Hult, F. & Kupisch, T. (2018). Situating language acquisition planning. In Siiner, M., Hult, F. & Kupisch, T. (Eds.) (pp. 1-10). Springer.
- Hult, F. (2017). Discursive approaches to policy. In Wortham, S., Kim, D. & May, S. (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Language and Education (pp. 111-121). Springer.
- Hult, F. (2017). Nexus analysis as scalar ethnography for educational linguistics. In Martin-Jones, M. & Martin, D. (Eds.) (pp. 89-104). Routledge.
- Hult, F. (2015). Making policy connections across scales using nexus analysis. In Hult, F. & Johnson, D. (Eds.) (pp. 217-231). John Wiley & Sons.
- Hult, F. & Johnson, D. (2015). The practice of language policy research. In Hult, F. & Johnson, D. (Eds.) (pp. 1-5). Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hult, F. (2014). How does policy influence language in education?. In Silver, R. & Lwin, S. (Eds.) (pp. 159-175). Continuum.
- Hult, F. (2012). Ecology and multilingual education. In Chapelle, C. (Ed.) (pp. 1835-1840), 3. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hult, F. & Johnson, D. (2012). Nancy H. Hornberger, biography of. In Chapelle, C. (Ed.) (pp. 257-262), 5. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hult, F. & King, K. (2011). Global and local connections in educational linguistics. Multilingual Matters.
- Hult, F. (2010). Theme-based research in the transdisciplinary field of educational linguistics. In Hult, F. (Ed.) (pp. 19-32). Springer.
- Hult, F. (2009). Language ecology and linguistic landscape analysis. In Shohamy, E. & Gorter, D. (Eds.) (pp. 88-104). Routledge.
- Hornberger, N. & Hult, F. (2008). Ecological language education policy. In Spolsky, B. & Hult, F. (Eds.) (pp. 280-296). Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hult, F. (2008). The history and development of educational linguistics. In Spolsky, B. & Hult, F. (Eds.) (pp. 10-24). Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hornberger, N. & Hult, F. (2006). Educational linguistics. In Brown, K. (Ed.) (pp. 76-81). Elsevier.
Conference contributions (21)
- Hult, F. (2018). Linguistic landscapes for sustainable cities and communities : Implementational space in United Nations development targets and indicators.
- Hult, F. (2018). Parallel language use : A Nordic solution for multilingual organizations?.
- Hult, F. (2018). Practitioner research in Swedish teacher education.
- Hult, F. (2017). Engaging pre-service teachers with language policy.
- Hult, F. (2017). Linguistic landscapes and sustainable cities for vulnerable populations.
- Hult, F. (2017). Plurilingual tensions and monolingual habitus in educational language policy.
- Hult, F. (2016). The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals : Opportunities for multi-sited language policies.
- Hult, F. (2016). Ways of seeing linguistic landscapes : Applying theories of representation old and new.
- Hult, F. & Kelly Holms, H. (2016). Spectacular language and creative marketing in a Singapore tailor shop.
- Hult, F., Glanz, C. & Hanemann, U. (2016). Multilingual literacy and the strategic development goal for quality education.
- Hult, F. (2015). (Re)conceptualizing linguistic hierarchies: English and multilingualism in Sweden.
- Hult, F. (2015). Entextualized ideologies of multilingualism and globalization in the national educational language policy of Sweden.
- Källkvist, M. & Hult, F. (2015). Implementational space for multilingualism at a Swedish university following the passing of the Swedish Language Act.
- Hult, F. (2014). Neoliberal semiotic cycles and the political economy of educational policy.
- Hult, F. & Compton, S. (2014). Nexus analysis : background and prospects.
- Källkvist, M. & Hult, F. (2014). Språklagen och skapandet av utrymme för svenska, engelska och andra språk vid ett universitet.
- Hult, F. (2013). (Worst Case) scenario analysis of English in higher education : a thought experiment.
- Hult, F. & Källkvist, M. (2013). Entextualizing ideologies of English and multilingualism in a university language policy.
- Hult, F. & Källkvist, M. (2013). Language policy formation at a Swedish university: Negotiating multilayered discourses.
- Källkvist, M. & Hult, F. (2013). Planning for Bilingualism at a Swedish University.
- Källkvist, M. & Hult, F. (2013). Unpacking parallel-language use in language policies at Swedish universities.
- Hult, F. (2013). Review of the book 'Negotiating language policies in schools: educators as policymakers'. International Journal of the Sociology of Language, 219, 141-144. De Gruyter.
- Hult, F. (2016). Contemporary social issues in English teaching. Pedagogsajten Familjen Helsingborg.
- Compton, S. & Hult, F. (2014). Applications of language policy and planning to deaf education. LPReN Briefs. Center for Applied Linguistics.
- Director of Studies at English Studies