I am Associate Professor in linguistics. My main research interests are comparative and evolutionary linguistics, grammar, lexicology, and language documentation, in particular on undescribed languages. I have specialized in the production of lexica and handbooks, among others of Tocharian, for which I received a prize from Institut de France in 2008, and Scandoromani, for which I received a prize from The Royal Academy of Gustavus Adolphus in 2009. I am research leader of a team, which builds a geodatabase with lexical and typological data from Eurasia and South America. The database is used for systematic and empirical studies on language diversity, using phylogenetic and phylogeographic models. I have made several research visits at other universities, e.g., as Humboldt fellow at University of Kiel and at SCAS in Uppsala. I have a long-term collaboration with UMR 7528 at EPHE/Sorbonne in Paris. I am also interested in teaching and development of teaching material.
Other tasks and qualifications
AWARDS AND DISTINCTIONS
- Prize, Fondation Collette Caillat de l’Institut de France, for the book "A Dictionary and Thesaurus of Tocharian A, vol 1.", 2008
- Prize, The Royal Gustavus Adolphus Academy, Uppsala, for the book "Ordbok over svensk romani. Resandefolkets språk och sånger", 2009
- 2010 Elected member, Society of Science (Vetenskapssocieteten), Lund University.
- 2006 Elected associated researcher, CNRS/ Sorbonne Nouvelle/ EPHE, Paris.
- 2004 Elected collegium member, Swedish Research Institute in Istanbul.
- 2000-2004 Elected board member, Indo-European Society/Indogermanische Gesellschaft.
- 2014-2017 Board member, Faculty board, Faculty of Humanities and Theology, Lund University
- 2011-2014 Chair, Research board, Kristianstad University.
- 2010-2011 Board member, Research board, Kristianstad University.
- 2009-2012 Chair, Romani Studies Institute.
- 2008-2010 Board member, Infrastructure Board of the Faculty of Humanities and Theology, Lund University.
- 2006-2007 Board member, Board of the University Library, Faculty of Humanities and Theology, Lund University.