Masterprogram i Språk och språkvetenskap

How to apply

Sweden has a pooled admissions system from where you apply to all courses and programmes at Swedish universities:

Typically, Master of Arts Programme in Langauge and Linguistics starts in the autumn (in the end of August). You apply at in the First Admission Round which usually opens in the middle of October and closes January 15. You'll find application links under each specialisation.

As an international student, you are encouraged to apply in the January admission round. This gives you time to pay tuition fees, apply for residence permit, find housing, etc. 

Admission requirements

Each specialization has specific admission requirements. Please check the specialisation of your choice for more information on the specific requirements.

To meet the general entry requirements for master's level (second cycle or graduate) studies, you must:

  • have been awarded a Bachelor's degree (equivalent to a Swedish Kandidatexamen) from an internationally recognised university
  • be able to demonstrate proficiency in English

To meet the specific entry requirement for this programme you must also:

  • have a major in language or linguistics, and for the language specific subject in the subject chosen for the Master’s programme (French major for the specialization Modern languages, French; Swedish major for the specialization Swedish/Scandinavian Languages and so forth)
  • completed a bachelor degree project, and/or other independently written academic papers, in the subject chosen for the Master’s programme. 
  • And please note that the requirement on English proficiency is higher for the specialization in English than the other specializations.

Find more inormation abou how to apply on

Selection – common to all specialisations

If the number of applicants exceeds the number of students who can be admitted to the programme, the selection is made on the basis of the applicant's estimated ability to complete the programme successfully. The applicants are ranked based on their previous academic merits (grades for courses and the quality of their BA thesis or equivalent academic papers), their statement of purpose, and their proficiency in English. Admissions interviews may also be used to rank the applicants.

Statement of Purpose

The statement plays an important role in our admission process. It enables us to see whether you have the right background, interests and motivations needed for this programme. Download the form "Summary Sheet", fill it out and submit it with your application. We will consider your answers carefully in our admission process.

The Bachelor's degree thesis

The Bachelor's degree thesis is a research paper in which the you indicate your knowledge of relevant research literature and relate your own research to it, describing their methodology and summarising your results. If you have not written a Bachelor's thesis, other types of research oriented papers can be submitted. Note that course papers generally do not fulfil these requirements. The academic work has to be a part of your programme, supervised and subject to examination.

  • Indicate in the Summary sheet what kind of academic paper(s) you have. Please be prepared to submit the thesis/papers on request. 
  • If the abstract is written in the language of the specialization chosen, an English translation is not needed. If the thesis is written in an other language (unless in Swedish/Danish or Norwegian) an English translation must be provided (it does not have to be made by an authorised translator).


Interviews will be conducted by e-mail, Skype and/or telephone.

Tuition fees

When applying online non-EEA students will be required to pay an application fee. If admitted, non-EEA students will be required to pay before their enrollment the fee covering the first semester of their program.

More information about the tuition fees, payment options, scholarships and funding can be found at

Questions and answers

Q: I have a double major in French and Italian, and I'm not sure which one of them I should choose. Can I have some advice on this?

A: In the programme, all courses in other specialization subjects are available as long as you fulfil the specific requirements for each course. This means you can study both subjects as long as the courses do not clash. It can also be possible to change specialization subjects within the programme at a later piont. Please ask the study counsellor.

Q: I'm in my final year, which means that I will not have yet attained my degree or finished my Bachelor's thesis by the application/supporting documents deadline. I was wondering if this would be a problem?

A: No, that will not be a problem. You can be conditionally admitted, which means that you need to show us the diploma before you can start the programme in September. Find more information at universityadmissions: For students in their final year of bachelor's studies

Q: I plan on finishing my bachelor’s thesis in my final term of undergraduate studies. What do I do if I cannot submit my finished thesis by the application deadline?

A: We will require some information about your coming papers. See information in the Summary sheet.

Q: Should I submit my bachelor’s thesis to university admissions by the application deadline?

A: No, you are not allowed to upload your bachelor’s thesis or any other essay on the university admissions website. We will let you know if we need it, and request it (by emial) for additional assessment after the application deadline.

Q: I did my Bachelor's degree in English language. Do I still need a IELTS or other language test for the specialization in English?

A: All applicants must have a BA in English. Some have even a MA. Still, the knowledge of English must be documented by an international standardized proficiency test that is no more than two years old.  Applicants who are native speakers of English and have also a completed high-school diploma or an Upper Secondary School Leaving Examination diploma from the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand are exempted from the above requirement. A copy of the diploma must be submitted with the application. See the requirements on 

Sidansvarig: jordan.zlatevling.luse | 2022-11-14