How to apply
Apply for European studies
Typically, Master of Arts Programme in European Studies starts in the autumn (in the beginning of September). You apply at Universityadmission.se in the 'January Admission Round' which usually opens in the middle of October and closes in the middle of January. Much welcome with your application – www.lunduniversity.lu.se/lubas/i-uoh-lu-HAEUH
To be eligible for the Master of Arts Programme in European Studies (MAPES), the applicant must have:
- A qualification (Bachelor’s degree) from 1st Cycle higher education in humanities or social sciences, or the equivalent.
- English language proficiency (English 6). Please check the full list of ways in which you can document your English proficiency at www.universityadmissions.se.
Students who fulfill the eligibility requirements are selected according to the following additional criteria, in the priority given below:
- Grades for courses relevant to the application. An original transcript of grades from the 1st cycle of education (Bachelor) must be included, together with its English translation, if applicable.
- Motivation Letter: A text of maximum 500 words, written in English, that describes the fit between the program’s academic orientation and goals and the prospective student’s qualifications and future career ambitions must be included.
- Two (2) recommendation letters from persons who have known the prospective student in her/his academic capacity and can evaluate her/his competence. The letters must be in English.
Letter of Motivation
The letter of motivation/intent/purpose must be written in English and contain a maximum of 500 words. The letter is intended to describe the fit between the performance and skills of the prospective MAPES student and the goals of the programme. In other words, you must broadly answer two questions:
- How do my qualifications, both academic and outside the academia (civil society involvement, professional activities), make me a good candidate for the Master of Arts Programme in European Studies?
- How do MAPES structure and goals help me further my personal career goals?
The letter should also make a case for your communication skills. The text should be written in a grammatically correct, well-structured fashion and should showcase your abilities with relevant examples.
Letters of Recommendation
The letter of recommendation must be written in English on the official stationery of the university or institute the referrer represents. The letter must state clearly the name of the student, in the format
Letter of Recommendation for … [name of applicant]
The referrer must answer the following questions:
- In what capacity do you know the applicant?
- What is your assessment of the applicant’s academic development and achievements?
- What is your assessment of the applicant’s intellectual ability?
- What is your assessment of the applicant’s ability to work independently?
- What is your assessment of the applicant’s academic and personal suitability for our Master of Arts Programme in European Studies (MAPES)?
- For applicants whose first language is not English, what is your assessment of the applicant’s proficiency in the English language?
The letter must include the name and contact information (including email and telephone) of the referrer.
When applying online non-EEA students will be required to pay an application fee. If admitted, non-EEA students will be required to pay before their enrollment the fee covering the first semester of their program.
More information about the tuition fees, payment options, scholarships and funding can be found at www.lunduniversity.lu.se.