Courses instructed in English
Swedish proficiency is not needed
Please note: As an international student, you are encouraged to apply in the January admission round. The later April admission round can be an alternative for students from EU/EEA countries as they do not need a residence permit. Apply between March 15 and April 15 at the Swedish site Antagning.se. But please note that these pages are in Swedish and that you need to seek information for international students on your own.
Languages and linguistics
- Learn Swedish: Short courses in Swedish at different levels
- ENGC03 English: Written Proficiency and Academic Writing, 7,5 hp
In this course you practise your ability to express yourself in academic English within various genres. In particular, we practice how to reflect on different writing scenarios within the academy – both in terms of disciplinary conventions and academic genres.
- HEBA10 Modern Hebrew: Elementary Course I, 15 hp
The study of Modern Hebrew is based on the spoken and written language, עברית (Ivrit), which is one of the official languages of the state of Israel.
- SASH26 Diversity of the World's Languages, 7,5 hp
How many languages are there in the world? How and why do languages change? Why do languages die?
- LIND07 Linguistics: Introduction to Psycholinguistics, 7,5 hp
A continuation course for language or linguistic's students.
- LIND06 Linguistics: Introduction to Research Methods in Linguistics 7.5 hp
This course introduces the linguistic student to research methods and methodological issues, and prepares the student for writing an essay on B.A. level.
- FIVA05, Scandinavian and European Film Culture, 30 hp
Moving images have long been an important part of culture and society, but digitization and globalization are radically changing their creative, industrial, cultural and social forms and significance. In this course, four select perspectives will allow students both a varied and nuanced understanding of contemporary film cultures in Scandinavia and Europe. You can also apply for the modules as separate freestanding courses:
- FIVA06, Scandinavian and European Film: Culture and History in Film and Television, 7,5 hp
- FIVA07, Scandinavian and European Film: Festivals, Criticism, Society 7,5 hp
- FIVA08, Scandinavian and European Film: Migration and Ethnicity, 7,5 hp
- FIVA09, Scandinavian and European Film: Celebrities, Auteurs and Film Movements, 7,5 hp
- SASH03, Swedish Film, 7,5 hp
An overview of Swedish film, and special emphasis is given to the relation between Swedish film and society.
- SASH48, The Old Icelandic Heritage, 7,5 hp
Old Iceland: The Eddas, the skaldic poetry, the sagas, and the society and the language.
SASH23 Introduction to the Middle East, 7,5 hp
A comprehensive survey of the history of the region from the Pre-Islamic period to the present day. The course has a modern slant, primarily focusing on the study of the contemporary political development in the Middle East region.
- SASH62 Communism in East and Central Europe: Present, Past, and Future Perspectives, 7,5 hp
The development of communism during the Cold War, from the Yalta conference in 1945 to the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, and its consequences in the 1990s and early twenty-first century.
Four 7,5 hp courses in Yiddish language and culture given as online courses:
Courses on advanced level
Most of the courses on the advanced level (master's courses) are instructed in English. Please note the prerequisites for the courses.
Language and linguistics
- Cognitive semiotics: Meaning, Mind and Communication, 7.5 hp (SEMN02)
- Greek Literary History from Ancient Times to Early Byzantine Times, 7.5 hp (GREM15)
- Language and Linguistics: Discourse Analysis, 7.5 hp (SVEM39)
- Linguistics: The Archaeology of Language, 7.5 hp (LINN30)
- Linguistics: Metalinguistics – Language as an Object of Knowledge, 7.5 hp (LINN22)
- Linguistics: Grammatical Patterns in Human Language, 7.5 hp (LINN23)
- Phonetics: Function and Use of the Voice, 7.5 hp (FONM26)
Literature – Culture – Media
- Literature-Culture-Media: An Introduction, 15 ECTS (LIVR50)
- LCM: Advanced Russian Literary Studies, 15 ECTS (LIVR22)
- Literature-Culture-Media: English Literature, 15 ECTS (LIVR23)
- Literature-Culture-Media: Literary Theory and Method, 15 ECTS (LIVR51)
- Literature-Culture-Media: 20th Century Literature of Latin America, 15 ECTS (LIVR52)
- Literature-Culture-Media: The Picture Book Today, 15 ECTS (LIVR65)
- Literature-Culture-Media: Yiddish Modernism, 1907–1954, 15 ECTS (LIVR74)
- Literature-Culture-Media: German Literature After the Wall, 15 ECTS (LIVR81)