My research concerns children's gestures: what they are like, how they are used, and how this changes over time in development. My background is within cognitive science, communication sciences, and computer science.
- Research group
- Language Acquisition We are interested in different aspects of language acquisition, e.g., L1, L2, bilingual and L3 acquisition, attrition, impairment, didactics, methodology ...
- Completed projects
- Audio description and multimodality Being able to experience visual scenes, pictures, gestures and facial expressions is something that we take for granted. Visually impaired audiences, ...
- Gestures that involve handling of objects (research leader) The project investigates communicative acts that involve handling of physical objects, e.g. toys in parent-child interaction. These actions are called ...
- Centre for Cognitive Semiotics (CCS) In order to understand the specificity of human beings, we must consider the biological as well as historical process by means of which we were separated ...
- Precursors of Sign Use in Intersubjectivity and Imitation (PSUII) In earlier work we have explored the human capacity to engage in sign use, comparing different semiotic resources with respect to their developmental ...
- Children's gestures My work regards gestures in children between 18–30 months. Previous research on child gesture mostly concern the period from 9–20 months, but gestures ...
My PhD thesis was completed in 2010. I am now working as a post-doc within the Centre for Cognitive Semiotics.
- Andrén, M. (2010). Children's Gestures from 18 to 30 Months. Travaux de l'institut de linguistique de Lund, 50. Centre for Languages and Literature, Lund University. Dissertation.
- Holsanova, J., Andrén, M. & Wadensjö, C. (submitted). (Eds.) Syntolkning : forskning och praktik. Lund University Cognitive Studies / Myndighet för tillgängliga medier.
- Zlatev, J., Andrén, M., Johansson Falck, M. & Lundmark, C. (2009). (Eds.) Studies in Language and Cognition. Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Andrén, M. (in press). Multimodal constructions in children : is the headshake part of language?. Gesture.
- Andrén, M. (2012). The social world within reach: Intersubjective manifestations of action completion. Cognitive Semiotics, 4, 139-166. De Gruyter Mouton.
- Andrén, M., Sanne, J. & Linell, P. (2010). Striking the balance between formality and informality in safety-critical communication: Train traffic control calls. In Mey, J. (Ed.) Journal of Pragmatics (pp. 220-241), 42. Elsevier.
Book chapters (6)
- Andrén, M. (in press). Children's Gestures in Sweden. In Müller, C., Cienki, A., Fricke, E., Ladewig, S., McNeill, D. & Teßendor, S. (Eds.) Body Language Communication (pp. 1282-1289), 2. de Gruyter.
- Andrén, M. (in press). On the lower limit of gesture. In Seyfeddinipur, M. & Gullberg, M. (Eds.) Visible Utterance in Action. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Andrén, M., Andersson, A., Håkansson, G., Gullberg, M., Johansson, V. & Sayehli, S. (2013). Att lära sig språk. In Johansson, V., Carling, G. & Holmer, A. (Eds.) Språket, människan och världen : människans språk 1-2 (pp. 73-89). Studentlitteratur.
- Andrén, M. (2011). The organization of children’s pointing stroke endpoints. In Stam, G. & Ishino, M. (Eds.) Integrating Gestures (pp. 153-162). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Zlatev, J. & Andrén, M. (2009). Stages and transitions in children’s semiotic development. In Zlatev, J., Andrén, M., Lundmark, C. & Johansson, M. (Eds.) Studies in Language and Cognition (pp. 380-401). London: Cambridge Scholars.
- Zlatev, J., Brinck, I. & Andrén, M. (2008). Stages in the development of perceptual intersubjectivity. In Morganti, F., Carassa, A. & Riva, G. (Eds.) Enacting Intersubjectivity: A Cognitive and Social Perspective of the Study of Interaction. IOS Press.
- Brinck, I., Zlatev, J. & Andrén, M. (2006). An applied analysis of attentional intersubjectivity. Delivrables of Stages in the Evolution and Development of Sign Use. European Commission.
Content manager: Mats Andrén
Page content last modified 17 Jun 2014